Neon and Bright Light Takeover of the
Tuesday, May 18th 11:30 am EST
From the sprawling cities of Las Vegas and Hong Kong, to small rural towns coast-to-coast, neon lights have been a welcomed and inviting nighttime sight ever since they gained popularity in the early 20th century. But what exactly is neon, and how did it find its way to seemingly every corner of the globe? This is the story of how art met science to help define the identity of countless stores, businesses, and city skylines after sundown.
Hosted by the New York Adventure Club we explore the colorful and nostalgic history of neon, and its profound impact on diverse skylines and societies throughout the world.
This presentation will include:
- The origins of neon and early concepts of illuminated tube lighting, which can be traced back to 1675
- The fundamentals of neon, from bending and designing electrified and gas-filled tubes to the over 250 color combinations based on five noble gasses
- The Golden Age of neon in America (1930s-'60s), which adorned movie palaces, motels, diners, and more
- Glowing, going, gone — the decline of neon, and collectors & preservationists
- Memorable neon signs across the United States and abroad, and which museums showcase or teach the niche art style
- Pro photo tips on how to best photograph neon lights
Can't make it live? Don't worry, you'll have access to the full replay for one week!
Click here to register: https://www.nyadventureclub.com/